Say hello to Dark Chocolate Avocado cookies that are actually rich and healthy. Avocado is one of the long forgotten fruit in Singapore. You don’t see Singaporeans raving much about it, mainly because the entire island has been swamped with the sudden invasion of Matcha and Salted Egg yolk related food.
I lost count of the number of instaposts on lava croissants and Salted Egg yolk tarts, buns, donuts. While seeing all these make me hungry, haha there’s a limit to the number of these one can consume at their expense of their waistline.
So while I was doing my usual pininterest surfing, I chanced upon this post by Meghan from Cakenknife. It was the intense dark chocolate cookie picture that drew me to click on that very post. To my surprise, the cookie recipe had no butter. It was wholly substituted by Guess what….. Avocados! I guess the creaminess of an Avocado makes for a good substitution for butter. Resources have shown that you can do a one to one swap of butter and Avocados. I have not tested that theory but when I attempt it for future recipes, I will share it with you guys.
Many have associated Avocados with weight gain but they actually aid in weight loss ( Of course you eat them in moderation). They are filled with so many kinds of nutrients, fibre and antioxidant. Known for its anti cancer causing and low cholesterol benefits, it’s one fruit that is high in good fatty acids that we should all consume from time to time.
So the best thing about this recipe is:
1) No butter ( I Have been working with so much butter lately that the word scares me -.- )
2) The flavor of the cocoa is so rich and intense that any chocolate lover would approve
3) The avocado taste is not very strong which can be a good thing for picky eaters like kids. Finding ways to trick them into eating something good for them always comes in handy
4) This wholesome cookie takes only 10mins to bake and 10mins to prepare. It’s one of the easiest desserts to prepare if you’re under a time constraint
Those that have tried these yummy chocolate Avocado cookies could not tell what the secret ingredient added was.
Dark Chocolate Avocado Cookies with Speculoos filling ( Adapted from Meghan)
1 ripe avocado, peeled and mashed
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup castor sugar
1 egg, Room temperature
1.5 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
100g dark chocolate chips ( Or any kind of milk choc chips, white choc chips you like)
Mini balls of frozen speculoos spread, the size of grapes ( Optional- if you want a flowly centre)
1) Scoop balls of speculoos spread and freeze for at least 1 hour ( If you want to stuff them inbtw your cookie. If not please ignore this step)
2) Preheat oven to 175 deg cel (350 F)
3) In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder
4) In another bowl, use a balloon whisk to whisk together egg, sugar, avocado and vanilla
5) Fold in Flour to egg mixture
6) Fold in chocolate chips
7) Place some cookie batter on the baking tray, add your frozen speculoos ball and cover the top with more cookie batter. Ensure that the speculoos is entirely covered to prevent any leaking. ( Optional step )
8) Using a tablespoon, spoon batter onto cookie tray. Batter will be abit moist and wont foam a nice ball but not to worry. Try your best to make a circle. It will still look round when baked.
9) Bake in preheated oven for 10-12mins.
10) Leave to cool on baking tray for 10 mins before removing.
This cookie texture is not the crispy kind but rather soft like a cake due to the avocados but extremely yummy. Please you have to try it! Steps 1 and 7 are optional. If you’re not intending to stuff any spread in btw, ignore it. If you don’t like speculoos, you can use Nutella, Peanut Butter or your favourite spread!!
For a more visual tutorial, you can check out my Instagram video: Sherbakes for a shorter clip. Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @sherbakes should you attempt to try out the recipes.
Pin it On Pinterest 🙂 and Share the Love: