Mothers Day is just round the corner. Every year, we will appreciate our Mummy by bring her out for a nice meal. Not forgetting the tradition of baking her a cake. Alot of care and thought went into this as it is for a special someone.
Most of the time, the cake revolves around roughly the same flavors- Orange, Banana, Pandan or Lemon. Because that’s what Mummy loves best.
This year, I decided to make her an orange chiffon cake but present it in a different way. The technique of making the cake is the same just that instead of baking the cake in a chiffon pan ( The one with a hole in the middle), I baked it in a 6” round pan ( 3 pans to make 3 separate layers). The cake is then frosted with tangy orange curd alternate with a layer of sweet cream cheese.
Happy Mothers’ Day to all the mummies out there. Your love and sacrifice for the family is definitely worth mentioning.
Orange Chiffon Cake with Orange Curd and Cream Cheese Filling ( Makes 6″ Cake)
To make cake:
3/4 cups castor sugar
1/2 tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/4 cups cake flour
1/2 cup oil
2 large eggs ( Separate egg yolks from egg white)
1 tbsp orange zest
2/3 cup orange juice, freshly squeezed
1/2 tsp cream of tar tar
1) Preheat oven to 175 deg cel ( 370 F). Grease and line 3 6″ Round baking tins with baking paper.
2)Sift cake flour, salt and baking powder. Set a side
3) Place egg yolks in one medium bowl and egg whites in another bowl
4) Add 1/2 cup castor sugar, oil, orange zest and orange juice to the egg yolk bowl and beat until combined.
5) Add in cake flour mixture and mix until just combined ( Dont overmix).
6) In a separate bowl, whip egg whites till foamy then add cream of tar tar.
7) Continue to whip egg whites until soft peaks then gradually add in the remaining 1/4 cup castor sugar in 3 additions.
8) Whip until stiff peaks
9) Fold 1/3 of the egg white mixture into egg yolk mixture to loosen up the batter
10) Fold remaining egg white mixture until the batter has been well mixed.
11) Pour batter equally into the baking tins and bake for 20-25mins until toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
To make orange curd ( Makes enough to fill 2 layers of cake):
1/8 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1 tsp grated orange zest
2 egg yolks
1/6 cup castor sugar
1) Heat saucepan of water till simmering
2) Place a waterproof bowl on top of the saucepan to create a double boiler
3) Add all the ingredients above and whisk until thicken ( Coats the back of a spoon)
4) Remove from heat and cool till thicken. ( I usually refrigerate mine overnight)
Cream Cheese Filling
125g cream cheese
60g unsalted butter
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup icing sugar, sifted
1) Whip everything together until smooth and fluffy
Assembly of Cake:
1) Slice of dome of cakes to create 3 even layers
2) Spread orange curd on one layer of cake followed by a layer of creamcheese
3) Repeat steps until you end up with the last layer of cake on top
4) Frost down the sides and top of the cake
5) Refrigerate until set!
Share the love by pinning on Pininterest or visiting @Sherbakes on instagram to view more of my creations 🙂