When you think of Green Cakes, what do you think of? I held a poll on Instagram a few days ago trying to see if people could guess the flavour of the cake I baked. Subtle hints like green cake crumbs were sprinkled on top of the cake. It’s amazing to see that the majority went with Matcha cake!! An overwhelming number!! Other cake flavours mentioned were Pandan, Avocado, Lime but practically none thought of the possibility of a veggie cake.
So before you can judge this cake, you gotta make one for yourself and taste it. Do not be quick to judge a book by its cover. When I saw someone posting this cake online, my 1st impression was “How interesting” and then lots of questions went through my head… “ Like seriously” a “veggie cake”, wouldn’t that taste “yuckyyy and grassy”?? My mind was filled with more fascination than disgust.
I adapted the recipe a little here and there but credits given to Alena for the original inspiration 😍 I gave quite a number of people to blind taste the cake. Obviously I wasn’t going to tell them what went in. All of them loved it. They didn’t expect the cake to be made out of spinach. My mum actually thought it was a coconut cake. Haha
I didn’t’ want to waste a whole big batch of cake if say the cake didn’t turn out as expected so I usually bake my test cakes in smaller portions. You can of course double the recipe for bigger cakes.
Spinach Cake ( Makes a Small 2 layer 5” Cake)- Gluten Free
1 cup gluten free flour, sifted ( I use Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1-1 Baking Flour)
1.5 tsp GF baking power
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla bean
3/4 cups sugar
1 cup fresh spinach
3/8 cup Organic Coconut oil
1) Preheat oven to 175deg Celcius
2) In a food processor, blend spinach, vanilla bean, sugar, eggs until fine and smooth
3) Transfer mixture into a big bowl
4) Slowly drizzle coconut oil into mixture, while using a hand mixer to mix the mixture.
5) Sift flour, baking power and salt and add to mixture. Beat until just combined ( Do not overmix!)
6) Divide equally into 2 tins and bake for 20-30 mins until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean
7) When cake has cooled, feel free to frost with the desired filling or frosting of your choice. Here I frosted with a layer of cream cheese frosting and added some black cherries in the middle.
8) Slice cake and distribute to friends 🙂 ENJOY!!
Share the love by pinning on Pininterest or visiting @Sherbakes on instagram to view more of my creations 🙂
This post contains affiliate links. For more information, visit my disclosure page.