Cherries Cherries Cherries How I love you! Anybody have a soft spot for cherries? I certainly do. Everyone in our family does. We buy Cherries by the kilos because they are so yummy, healthy for you, cheap and it’s the Cherry Season so you practically see them everywhere. If you supermarket hop from Giant, Jasons, Cold Storage and NTUC, cherries will be the first thing you see at the entrance.
Fruity Crumbles are my absolute favourite dessert aside from cakes and ice cream. I can’t tell you where exactly on a scale of 1-10 but I’m pretty sure it’s on the far spectrum of the scale. I’ve made a couple of crumbles before but My Blueberry Crumb Bar is to Die for. Amazing crumble, juicy fruits.. OMG. Give me more!
I use fresh fruits for most of my crumbles. That is to prevent the filling from getting too wet so when you cut the crumble the fruit layer sticks to the crust instead of the soupy mess. Toss the cherries with a little cornstarch before adding them to the crust layer.
Top it off with your favourite vanilla icecream ( Or other flavors.. Go crazyy) and enjoy it warm 🙂 BTW did i mention how buttery and crusty the crumb topping is. I couldn’t stop myself from snacking on the crumbs after cutting up the slices.
It’s cherry season. What are you waiting for? Make some Cherry Crumb Bars now!
Cherry Crumble Tart (Makes a 6″ square tray)
85g Unsalted Butter, Melted and cooled to RT
1/4 cup castor sugar
1 1/8 cups all purpose flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp almond extract
1/8 tsp salt
1 cup fresh cherries, pitted and sliced into half ( Around 21 cherries) ( Or other fruits like blueberries, apricots, peaches, apples etc)
3/4 tbsp cornstarch
Castor sugar ( for sprinkling)
1) Preheat oven to 170Deg Celcius
2) Line a 6″ Square baking tin with baking paper and butter the sides so it wont stick
3) In a medium bowl, mix together cherries and cornstarch
4) In another bowl, stir together melted butter, almond extract and sugar
5) Add Flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and stir with a fork until mixture resembles crumbs
6) Press 1/4 of the flour mixture into the prepared pan
7) Sprinkle cherries on top
8) Sprinkle remaining crumb mixture over the cherries and add some sugar over the top.
9) Bake for 25-30mins until crumble is golden brown on top.
10) Cool completely and serve with ice cream
Share the love by pinning on Pininterest or visiting @Sherbakes on instagram to view more of my creations 🙂