I was dying to recreate this dish after I saw someone posting the recipe online. One pot dirty rice and chicken. How awesome does that sound. Actually it was the word ONE pot that caught my attention.
Many a times, cleaning up the dishes can be a real chore. Cooking a simple meal ends up with tons of dirty dishes in the sink. They just somehow magically appear.
One pot dishes are great because everything is fried or cooked or baked in one pot. I always found that investing in a sturdy cast iron pot can be a real life saver. I’m a loyal supporter of Le Creuset pots and pans. I have them in quite a lot of colors and sizes ( But mainly in my favourite shade of pink, red and blue). My first pot was a purple one. ( Not a color I would usually go for but it was on sale!) and I was itching to get one but they didn’t have it in any other colors besides purple and brown I think… In the end, I went with a more forgiving and acceptable “color”.
This recipe calls for quite a number of ingredients. I conveniently left out some because I couldn’t get them at the local store that day.
One Pot Spicy Chicken and Sausage Rice (For 2 Pax)- Adapted from ChunkyChef
Ingredients (For Chicken Marinade):
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp cornflour
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp diced onions
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp oregano
1/8 tsp red chilli pepper flakes
1 tbsp olive oil
2 Bone in chicken thighs
-Combine chicken with above ingredients and let marinade in fridge overnight
2 spicy sausages cut into slices ( I use Johnsonville hot and spicy sausages)
1 medium onion, diced
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper ( Add more if you like more spicy)
1/8 tsp red chilli pepper flakes( Add more if you like more spicy)
1 tsp garlic powder
Salt and Pepper (to taste)
1/2 cup rice
1 cup chicken stock
Green Onions and Parsley ( to garnish dish)
1) Preheat oven to 350 Deg F (or 170Deg C)
2) Drizzle 1 tbsp of olive oil in cast iron pot ( The one you are baking your chicken in) and heat over medium high. Brown Sausages on both side and transfer onto another plate.
3) Add marinated chicken thigh, skin side down and sear for 2-3 mins on one side until golden brown crust forms
4) Remove chicken and set aside on plate.
5) Lower heat to medium and add in chopped onions and saute for 2-3 mins until softened. Add cayenne pepper, red chilli pepper, garlic powder, salt and pepper
6) Add in rice and chicken stock, stir and let simmer for 1 min.
7) Add sausages and chicken thighs on top ( Skin side up). Return to a simmer and then cover pot
8) Bake for 20-23 mins covered. Remove lid and bake another 10 mins uncovered.
9) Garnish dish with green onions and parsley.
10) Serve warm and ENJOY!
Share the love by pinning on Pininterest or visiting @Sherbakes on instagram to view more of my creations 🙂