It’s pie day again! Remember the soggy pie I made previously – with too much filling to spare? I was devastated when I saw how runny the filling after cutting through the crust. But nevertheless, the filling was tasty enough to make a pasta dish. If you want a good creamy chicken pasta sauce, look no where else. this super delicious pasta sauce goes really well with pasta, spaghetti or even as a side sauce to your chicken chop or other meat cravings.
Never fear. It’s back to the pie drawing board again. This time round, I opted to make my own crust. Let’s reserve lazy days for another occasion.
This time round, I made sure to cut back on the filling. Not too much broth and milk. The crust was flaky and just the way I like it. If there’s something to be happy about, it’s definitely the way the crust browns on the top and when you scoop a portion of that pie out, the filling to crust ratio is just nice. Mmhhhhh filling yums!
Don’t you think food looks nicer when they are mini. Haha. Cute little mini pot pies instead of a huge pie.
Ingredients for the pie crust (Enough to make 5 mini pies):
2 cups all-purpose flour
½ tsp salt
1 cup (227 g) cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
¼ cup ice water
1 Tbsp white vinegar
1 egg yolk plus 2 tsp milk, mixed well, to brush on top of pastry before baking
1) In a food processor, combine the flour and salt.
2) Add the butter and pulse a few times until the butter resembles pea.
3) Add the water and vinegar and pulse a few more times.
4) Remove dough and mould together until it comes into a ball. Press flat and wrap in plastic wrap.
5) Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
Ingredients for Filling
20g unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 Tbsp cornstarch
1/3 cup milk
A medium onion, finely chopped
150g frozen peas and carrots
1 and 1/4 cups chicken broth
225g boneless chicken breast/ thigh ( Cube)
1/2 tbsp cornstarch
Salt (to taste)
Ground black pepper (to taste)
1) Marinade chicken cubes with 1/2 tbsp cornstarch and put in fridge for 30mins
2) In a large saucepan, add chicken cubes and frozen peas/carrots
3) Add chicken broth, cover and boil for 10-15mins until chicken is cooked
4) Drain chicken mixture ( Reserve the stock)
5) In a separate pan, Melt butter and add onions.
6) Stir till onion is almost translucent then add flour and stir until boil.
7) Add the chicken stock slowly.
8) Add milk to the chicken chicken stock mixture and stir till thicken (Simmering takes about 10-15mins)
9) Add black pepper and salt to taste.
10) Stir in carrots and chicken cubes. ( Add more chicken stock if you like a more saucy filling).
Assembly of pie
1) Preheat oven to 400F or 200 C.
2) On a lightly floured work surface, roll out 2 circles, one about 12cm in diameter and the other about 9cm in diameter ( This is to fill a pie casing that is 5.5cm in diameter and 3.5cm in height). You will need a total of 5 sets.
3) Place the 12cm circle dough inside the casing and up the sides. It’s ok if the dough overhang the casing by a little because when you place the second piece of dough over the top after filling the casing, you will need to pinch to seal in the filling.
4) Spoon the chicken filling in. Cover with the second sheet of dough.
5) Repeat steps 2 – 4 with the other 4 sets of casing
6)Crimp the edges to seal the filling in.
7) Brush the top with egg yolk wash.
8) Bake for 35-40mins.
Share the love by pinning on Pininterest or visiting @Sherbakes on instagram to view more of my creations 🙂