Sweet pies are my absolute favourite! Cherry pie, Apple pie, Fruit pie, Strawberry pie, Cheesecake pie! Loves loves loves. Savory pies – they fit into the pie bill as well. This chicken pot pie is a quick fix if you’re craving something savory or something simple to make. The best part is, you can use prepackaged pastry to make your pie ( Not a fan of frozen products but sometimes when time is REALLY a factor, it can be a real Godsend. On lazy days, I cave in as well.
This pie was made using puff pastry. The ones that rise up high upon baking. I couldn’t find the normal pie crusts so I just went with that. As much as I love puff pastry, the pie this time round was soggy. Can’t blame the pie. The filling was abit too runny. Thus the end product turned out soggy. We left half the pie for the next day and the sauce got soaked up by the crust. It tasted better the second day.
That’s when you get too carried away in making “ more than “ enough filling. Less is sometimes more. Oh anyway, the remainder filling was used to make Pasta for dinner. Infact, the filling was the Lifesaver of the soggy pie.
Pie aside, the filling is a good sauce for pasta or even great for dipping bread into. Sharing the recipe here on the blog because I know I can always refer back here if I want a good creamy chicken pie pasta sauce.
Chicken Pot Pie Filling/ Chicken Pasta Gravy
1/3 cup (75g) unsalted butter, softened
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp cornstarch
2/3 cup milk
A medium onion, finely chopped
300g frozen peas and carrots
1 and 3/4 cups chicken broth
454g boneless chicken breast/ thigh ( Cube)
1 tbsp cornstarch
Salt (to taste)
Ground black pepper (to taste)
1) Marinade chicken cubes with 1 tbsp cornstarch and put in fridge for 30mins
2) In a large saucepan, add chicken cubes and frozen peas/carrots
3) Add chicken broth, cover and boil for 10-15mins until chicken is cooked
4) Drain chicken mixture ( Reserve the stock)
5) In a separate pan, Melt butter and add onions.
6) Stir till onion is almost translucent then add flour and stir until boil.
7) Add the chicken stock slowly.
8) Add milk to the chicken chicken stock mixture and stir till thicken (Simmering takes about 10-15mins)
9) Add black pepper and salt to taste.
10) Stir in carrots and chicken cubes. ( Add more chicken stock if you like a more saucy filling).
Share the love by pinning on Pininterest or visiting @Sherbakes on instagram to view more of my creations 🙂