Red is the new Black. Red Red Red. I can’t tell you how much I love this color. Often associated with the word love, Valentine’s day and now Christmas, It’s a perfect time to make a Red Dessert. After much thought, I decided to go down the lane of making a red velvet log cake. I love how the red color contrasts against the white snowy frosting. It makes the cake pop!
I used the basic vanilla roll recipe and added in a little red gel ( Depending on how red you want your cake to be). I started with 2 tsp of coloring but the cake was more pink than red. Of course pink velvet is pretty as well but I wanted a redder cake so I added in a few drops of Wilton’s red gel. Wilton’s gel is thicker and less liquid in nature so the colors are bolder compared to liquid red extracts. Do remember that if you’re adding in more liquid than as stated in the recipe, do reduce the cream content by the same amount of extra coloring you add in.
Ingredients for Swiss Roll
½ Cup cake flour
1/2 tsp cocoa powder
½ tsp baking powder
5 egg whites, RT
¼ tsp cream of tar tar
½ cup castor sugar
1/8 tsp salt
5 egg yolks, RT
2 tsp red coloring + some red coloring gel ( depending on how deep a red color you like)
½ tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp butter, melted
¼ cup heavy cream
1) Line a swiss roll baking pan with baking paper
2) Sift cake flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder in a bowl. Set aside
3) Preheat oven to 175deg Celcius
4) Beat egg whites with cream of tar tar until frothy ( big bubbles forming). Then slowly add in ¼ cup of the castor sugar gradually. Beat until stiff peaks
5) In another bowl, beat the egg yolks with remaining ¼ cup sugar until pale yellow about 2-5mins.
6) Add vanilla extract, red coloring ( add more if color is not red enough) , melted butter and cream until incorporated
7) Add flour and mix
8) Add 1/3 of the egg white mixture into egg yolk mixture and mix
9) Fold remaining egg white mixture into egg yolk mixture. Fold gently to prevent deflating the batter
10) Pour cake batter into swiss roll pan and spread evenly.
11) Bake for 7-12 mins until a tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
12) Cool on rack
Ingredients for Cream Cheese mixture
250g cream cheese, RT
125g unsalted butter, RT
½ cup powdered sugar, sifted
1tbsp vanilla paste
Steps for cheese
1) Mix cheese, butter, sugar until light and fluffy
Assembling the Log cake
1) Place parchment paper on top of cooled cake and flip cake over
2) Remove the parchment paper below the cake and place a new clean sheet of paper over. Flip cake over once more.
3) Spread cream cheese frosting evenly on the cake
4) Starting from the shorter end of the cake, roll the cake and wrap tightly in the paper.
5) Refrigerate at least 1 hr or until cake has set. ( You don’t want the filling to be runny when you’re frosting the log. )
6) After the cake has set, unroll the cake and spread remaining cream cheese over the logcake.
7) Use a fork to create lines along the log.
Share the love by pinning on Pininterest or visiting @Sherbakes on instagram to view more of my creations 🙂
Still unsure of what to bake this Christmas 🙂 Click the link below for my top favourite dessert recipes and DIY projects this Holiday Season!!