Looking back at the blogpost Browneyebaker posted got me dreaming about this pie. When I first chanced upon it while swiping the pages of my ipad, I knew it was the one. There and then, it was the feeling of falling in love with something again.
It’s amazing how many photo sharing sites are gaining popularity among their targeted audience. What was then unpopular is now the fad of society. I now toggle most of my time between researching, reading, experimenting, editing, blogging and finally the last leg- sharing my pics with like-minded people who appreciate the beauty, time and effort put into a dish.
The marriage of salty and sweet. There has been alot of differing views on this. My opinion on this is I love the combination though im not so much of a fan of savory food. It’s always desserts before food in a buffet setting ( Either that I’ll start off with a little savory food and dive straight into the pool of glorious desserts). Salted Caramel which is gaining popularity in the Asia Pac region is no doubt my all-time favourite. I will show you why!
This is a 5 layer pie with different components that meld reallyyy well together. At the bottom is a sugar crusted digestive bit.
Following which is a smooth layer of buttery salted caramel. Next up is a layer of crushed pecans- Yummy!
Topping that crunchy nutty layer are granny smith and red apples sauteed till soft in butter and some sweet love.
The next component is the vanilla cream cheese that was baked together with the other ingredients. Lastly the crown to the pie is the generous layer of caramel sauce/ pecan for finishing touches.
Sounds tedious much? It’s actually fairly simple- Just add in your favourite dessert combination and have loads of fun. That’s how fantasies happen in the hearts of many home kitchens 😉
Caramel Apple Cheesecake Pecan Pie ( Makes 1 10” Pie)– Adapted from Browneyebaker
Ingredients for the Crust:
1½ cup graham cracker crumbs
3 tbsp castor sugar
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
75g unsalted butter, melted
1) Preheat oven to 190C
2) Mix together the graham cracker crumbs, sugar and cinnamon.
3) Add the melted butter to the crumbs and mix well
4) Press the crumbs into a pie dish and up the sides of the dish.
5) Bake for 6 to 8 minutes, or until golden brown. Allow to cool for 10 minutes and set aside.
Ingredients for the Caramel-Pecan Layer:
¾ cup salted caramel sauce
1 cup chopped pecans
1) Pour the salted caramel sauce over the bottom of the crust. Spread evenly.
2) Sprinkle the chopped pecans evenly over top of the caramel layer.
Ingredients for the Apples:
70g unsalted butter
½ cup light brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon salt
5 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
1) Preheat oven to 175C.
2) Melt Butter in a pan. Add brown sugar, cinnamon and salt and stir to combine.
3) Cook until bubbling about 1 min.
4) Add apples to the pan and stir until well coated and cook until apples are soft ( About 20 min)
5) Allow to cool for 10 min then add on top of the caramel pecan layer, spreading apples into even layer. Place the pan back into the refrigerator to set.
Ingredients for the Cheesecake:
250g cream cheese, at room temperature
¼ cup castor sugar
1 egg, RT
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla extract
1) Beat the cream cheese and sugar on medium speed until smooth.
2) Add the egg followed by lemon juice and vanilla extract ( Beat 1-2min)
3) Pour the cheesecake batter over the apples in the pan, smoothing it into an even layer.
4) Bake about 30 minutes.
5) Transfer to rack to cool completely then refrigerate at least 4 hours
Assembling the cheesecake pie:
1) Remove pie from dish
2) Drop spoonfuls of caramel sauce over the top and add more pecans
ENJOY and Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @sherbakes should you attempt to try out the recipes.
Pin it and share the love: