This is basically a strawberry shortcake but in a log cake version. To welcome the month of December and the start of many celebrations, I decided to make this bright and cheery logcake.
The vanilla sponge comprises the main cake. It is then topped with vanilla chantilly creme and freshly cut strawberries.
There will be so many chocolate related desserts to consume during christmas… Chocolates, Truffles, Ice cream, Mousse, Cakes, Brownies, Bars!!! It’s always welcoming to have a change every now and then! I’m wishing upon a white Christmas and this recipe serves its purpose. The vanilla chantilly cream looks so snowy white, I can feel the Christmas spirit already!!
Recipe adapted from Anncoo
Ingredients for Sponge Cake
70g Cake flour or All purpose flour
4 Egg yolks
30g Cooking oil
30g Fresh milk or water
1tsp Vanilla extract
4 Egg whites
1) Prepare a 11 x 11 (or 10 x 10) inch baking tray, line with parchment paper or baking sheet, grease some oil on it with a brush.
2) In a large bowl, mix egg yolks, vanilla extract, sugar, cooking oil and fresh milk together with a hand whisk, mix well and add in sifted flour, mix well again, set aside.
3) Whisk egg white to foamy and add sugar, continue to whisk egg white to smooth peak form at medium speed.
4) Then fold 1/3 of the egg white to the egg yolk mixture, fold well with a rubber spatula and fold in the remaining egg white.
5) Make sure the baking tray is completely cooled down before pouring the plain mixture into it. Level the surface
6) Gently knock the tray on table top to remove air bubbles trapped in the batter and bake for 15 mins.
7) Turn cooled sponge onto a plastic sheet. Gently peel off baking sheet from the bottom of sponge and invert the sponge with skin facing up. Spread the layer of chantilly cream (Recipe below) over the sponge and line fresh strawberries on it.
8) Gently roll up the sponge to make a Swiss roll. (place a tea towel underneath to prevent plastic sheet slip) Wrap with plastic sheet or cling wrap and chill it for one hour.
Ingredients for Chantilly Cream
1 cup heavy or whipping cream
2 to 3 tablespoons powdered sugar (or more if you like it sweeter)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1) Beat heavy cream with powdered sugar and vanilla until it holds stiff peaks. ( I usually put the bowl im mixing the cream on top of a bigger bowl of ice water so it whips faster)
Do comment in the post below or tag me on Instagram: @sherbakes if you attempt your very own. Would love to share your joy in baking adventures