Wow. 2016 is truly a year of 1 month and 1 year old babies. The number of orders for this age group has been impressively huge. Good thing for Singapore’s economy. We now have more babies to balance our ageing population.
I’ve been so used to baking normal cakes ( I mean those that utilize the common ingredients of sugar, eggs, butter and flour) that I never thought of venturing beyond that. Time is probably one of the factors. My weekdays are spent at work, running on some of the evenings. Weekends involve baking, prepping for the upcoming wedding ( It’s finally approaching and we are getting so excited!) and learning how to swim ( This is honestly gonna be my biggest accomplishment of the year). At least if you throw me in the pool, I know for sure I will survive!!.
The variety of cakes you can enjoy nowadays is astonishing. Sugarfree, healthy, applesauce, eggless, glutenfree, halal, vegan, fit for babies, veggie cakes ( I know right). When a friend’s friend approached me to bake her girl’s 1st birthday, I was more than eager. Cake design was a pastel bunny theme cake. But in addition to her order, she also requested for an eggless, sugarfree cake for her baby.
This then got me thinking that Hey! Babies do eat cake as well. Just that we usually try and avoid giving too much sugar and substitute with natural food! This is when I started scouting for recipes around the net, and with a little tweaking here and there, I think I found one that is quite yummy and something I wouldn’t mid eating as well.
This recipe uses applesauce. I made my own unsweetened applesauce a couple of post back ( Click here for the recipe). Alternatively, you can buy it from the stores.
Ingredients (Makes 14 cupcakes)
2 cups cake flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
500g bananas mashed ( Approx 6 medium bananas)
1 cup unsweetened applesauce ( Homemade or storebought)
1/2 cup milk
1) Preheat the oven to 325 deg F (160 deg C).
2) In a bowl, sift the flour, baking soda and baking powder and set aside.
3) In a separate bowl, combine the applesauce with the mashed bananas and milk.
4) Pour the applesauce mixture into the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly. Don't overmix.
5) Pour into cupcake liners and bake until toothpick inserted comes out clean ( Approx 15 mins but different oven works differently so eyeball your bakes).
6) When cupcakes are cool, frost with unsweetened cream cheese or top it with more apples and honey drizzle.
Share the love by pinning on Pininterest or visiting @Sherbakes on instagram to view more of my creations :)