Here’s one recipe for all you people out there who want to go meatless for one day. Meat is yummy but this is equally yummy too. It uses quinoa as the main ingredient to bind these gorgeous patties together. Packing in a whole lot of nutrients and protein, its benefits are what makes it so popular nowadays. You can read more of this superfood in my previous post where I made a batch of quinoa. (Click here on how to make fluffy Quinoa)
To make things more interesting, I decided to test out quinoa using some of my favourite ingredients. The humble onion, red bell peppers, mushrooms ( I love mushrooms), parmesan cheese and more cheddar cheese!
Hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Makes about 17-20 (2" patties)
2-3 cups cooked quinoa ( Recipe here)
½ cup finely diced red bell peppers
1 medium onion, diced
250g brown mushrooms, sliced
50g parmesan cheese
50g cheddar cheese cut into small slices for stuffing into patty
¼ tsp salt or more to taste
¼ tsp black pepper or more to taste
1 tsp Italian herbs
1tbsp of oil
1) Fry onions in 1 tbsp of oil until slightly transparent. Throw in the bell peppers and mushrooms.
2) Cook till onions and bell pepper is soft.
3) Add in salt and black pepper to taste
4) Sprinkle some Italian herbs and cayenne pepper for heat. If you like a spicier quinoa, you can add more cayenne pepper
5) Pour the onion mixture into the cooked quinoa and mix till well combined.
6) Add in 2 eggs and mix well.
7) Preheat oven to 200 deg cel
8) Scoop some quinoa mixture in your hand, place a few small slices of cheddar cheese in the middle and cover with more quinoa. Roll till a flat patty and place on baking sheet. ( In btw rolls, rinse hand with water so quinoa won’t stick to your hand).
9) One batch can make about 17-20 patties depending on how big you make the patty.
10) Bake for 20 min until golden brown.
11) Enjoy with your fav dip. For me, I just like it simple with Heinz chilli sauce.
Share the love by pinning on Pininterest or visiting @Sherbakes on instagram to view more of my creations :)