If you love pizzas and are unwilling to go through the hassle of making your own pizza dough and risking the chance that your pizza might turn out with a soggy crust, let me introduce you an inspired pizza where you get to enjoy the flakiness of the pastry as well as the tastiness of the fillings + cheese combined.
All you need is some puff pastry and ingredients that you’ll like on your pizza. VIOLA.
Sounds easy? Tempted to try? Let me tempt you more.
Decided to go with just the basic mushroom + cheese pizza.
Mushroom Cheese Pizza Puffs ( Makes about 9 (3” square) puffs)
- 1 sheet Store bought puff pastry ( I like to use the brand pampas)
- ½ egg beaten ( to brush)
- 300g brown button mushrooms
- Italian Herbs
- black pepper (to taste)
- salt ( to taste)
- 2 slice bacon
- mozzarella cheese
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp oil
1) In a medium pan over high heat, saute the bacon till crispy. Set aside and cut into small pieces.
2) Slice mushrooms. Add a little butter and oil to the pan and saute mushrooms till soft.
3) Season mushrooms with herbs, salt and pepper to taste. I like to sprinkle a little parmesan cheese for taste.
4) Preheat your oven to 205DC
5) Using a pizza wheel, cut your puff pastry into 3 by 3” square and place them on a baking paper (I prefer mine 3” so it’s just sufficient for a snack. But it’s really up to you to decide how big or small a piece you would like.
6) Transfer baking paper with puff pastry squares to a baking pan.
7) Brush puff pastry squares with beaten egg
8) Add the mushroom filling in the middle of the squares and sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top .
9) Bake in preheated oven for 15 min. ( I like to rotate the pans 10 min into baking so that the squares bake evenly).
Serve immediately. It’s nicer eaten hot then cold.